Wednesday 17 November 2010

Oxford botanic gardens (part two)

Following on from my first post (part one is here) I'd like to share a few more of the more tropical gems that have been on display during 2010.

My first picture is of Ruizia Cordata, which is a small tree growing in the walkway connecting the various glass-houses. It's flower buds are far more attractive than the flowers themselves......
Ruizia Cordata is a member of the Malvaceae family and is only found growing in the wild on Reunion Island.

My next two photos are both climbing plants.
Clytostoma Callistegioides (Violet Trumpet Vine?) is a South American native.....
.......and Allamanda Cathartica
........which is also native to South America (Brazil). I have heard that gardeners in places such as California regard this as overly invasive - if that's true, try gardening in the UK! I'd love this outdoors!

Finally, before you wander off, one from the cactus house; Dasylirion Wheeleri........
.........which has such a perfect shape to it! Another South American plant, this time native to areas of northern Mexico.

Hope you enjoyed this brief look at our botanic garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment