Sunday 20 November 2011

In Praise of Plumbago



This year I’ve grown Plumbago (capensis) for the first time, and to say that I’m pleased with them is an understatement!
I’ve always liked this plant and finally got some seeds over the Christmas break. Sown in January and in bloom by August!
Now that I have my own plants I like it even more – the clusters of simple flowers in the most perfect shade of sky blue are maybe as perfect as it gets.





I’ve kept two plants for myself, keeping one in the conservatory and one outdoors. The extra heat of the conservatory means that this one is a month or so ahead of the poor outdoor plant.
So as well as being easy to grow, it’s also pest free! How much better can it get – still need convincing?

2 comments:

  1. I love the plumbago too. All the more so because it flowers throughout the year here. Thanks for your visit and comment. You had asked for the blue sage's scientific name. It is Eranthemum pulchellum. It is a native of India, and flowers profusely from October to March. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lotusleaf! The UK climate is not ideal for Plumbago, but that said it is still flowering indoors for me just a month from Christmas!

    Thanks for the Eranthemum pulchellum name - not too easy to find the seeds for so far though.

    And may your week be a good one too!!

    ReplyDelete