Sunday 14 October 2012

New Plants For The New Garden (part three)

When I moved house I was faced with the dilemma of which plants to lift and move with me. It's a difficult choice as we buy the plants that we like, but to lift everything would be unrealistic. There are some plants that also just plain dislike disturbance once established (I lifted my Digitalis lanata and parviflora plants knowing this and only succeeded in proving this to be correct) which also needs to be considered.

So after a fair bit of thought I decided to take the following from the beds;

Polygonatum hybridum.............


Uvularia grandiflora.....................

Both early bloomers, so as soon as the move was a done deal I lifted them. Not ideal as they were just starting into growth, but both flowered well in the end.

Blooming in late spring/early summer, Iris japonica...................
It's always a job to keep the slugs away from this, and this year was a particularly bad year in that respect - note the slug eaten bud in the top right.

Alstromera psittacina was a no brainer!

The lousy UK summer this year did Lobelia laxiflora no favours, but it's still one of my favourites...........

For Salvia "Black and Blue" I took a different approach and lifted a root section which I potted up................
Before long the new shoots started to emerge and by late summer I had this......................

My white Tradescantia blooms all summer so had to come...................

And there was no way that I was leaving my Tricyrtis collection! This is the common T.formosana..............

I decided to try something different this year and use one of my favourite houseplants in the main bed - Impatiens niamniamensis...............

It flourished! The beauty of this plant is that it is easily propagated by simply slicing it up and sticking in compost.

For parts one and two see here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment